Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Huh? Did I read that right?

As I turned the page to the next chapter in the book I am currently reading, this is what I saw as the first sentence:

God's work's boring!

Now, that is what I saw even after reading it 3 times. What it really said was:

God, work's boring!

There is a huge difference between those two statements. HUGE!

First off, I really try not to use God's name like that. I even cringe at the new "OMG" slogan everywhere. So I guess in my mind I wanted it to not say something derogatory.

So then I got to thinking - Is God's work boring?

I guess in a lot of ways it can be. Face it, us humans are a very ungrateful bunch. And we whine. A lot!

Often when we go to prayer, we go asking for something we want or want to happen. I am just as guilty as the next person. One big thing that I know a lot of people do is: If you just (fill in the blank), I will never (fill in the blank) again!

How often do we just go to God and say: Thank you for the flowers that bloom, thank you for the air we breathe, etc.?

I love to listen to my little one pray sometimes. His prayers are still innocent and spoken from his heart. He has no fear of God or the world yet. Why do we hold things back from God? Does He not know our needs and prayers before we even speak them?

I imagine it could get pretty boring every day just listening to us.

But then I also think that God has an exciting job. He gets to watch things come to life every day. Babies being born, flowers blooming, children playing and most of all our thankful hearts!

I always try to open my prayers with at least one word of thanks. Even if I just say thanks for the nice weather. Sometimes opening up on a thankful note, makes my needs seem a little less.

Stacy

2 comments:

VENTL8R said...

I think this is what Jesus meant when He scolded the Disciples and told them to bring the children. We have to be child-like in order to enter Heaven; to trust wholly and completely, to not question and just do as we're told. DOn't think, just do.

Jen said...

Great post, Stacy!
I am offended by the improper usage of the name of the Father, too. I'd rather just hear/read cuss words over taking God's name in vain.